Sunday, October 6, 2024

Hurricon 2024: Sunday

 Last day of the convention.

A couple sports games:


Another of Pete Panzeri's.
I got drawn into a DBA game - Jim was running a small "biblical" campaign.

Some terrain and "camp" objectives.
I got the 1500BCE Hebrews, a mix of foot troops...
... against whoever came after the Hittites, mostly light and fast.

I have got to get me some of this cuttable Cigar Box terrain.
Deployment.
A couple turns in, I've taken the high ground...
... and eliminated one base, though not the general,
which would have won the game outright.
Closeup of combat. You don't have to destroy a unit outright
to eliminate it - you can force it to retreat with another on its flank.
The cardboard is a measuring device in various lengths.
I'm threatening his camp from the woods but his chariots
are close enough to hit me if I go for it. At least they're diverted
from the rest of the battle.

Complex maneuvering.



I ultimately won (and got another certificate), but this was because my opponent was a national champion and coaching me all the way. Still, quite enjoyable. I find DBA complex, but I also find actual play to make things a lot easier - there is nothing like it for learning the rules, as I found with Quar and Charge!.

So, overall a successful, if more leisurely, convention. Would go again. 

On to LOOT:

  • Three painted British policemen, useful for VBCW.
  • A handful of extra Quar - three Crusader Rhyflers, three Crusader Trench Raiders, and three Coftyran Sharpshooters.
  • A box of 30 Wargames Atlantic BEF/Home Guard, also useful for VBCW if I ever get around to building and painting them... also bases, which I learned are not included in the boxes.
  • An extra, slightly battered Perrys' Portable Wargame. Will be interested to see how it goes on a 2x2 board.
  • Featherstone's guide to the Peninsular battlefields. Coincidentally, it mentions Pete Panzeri as someone who came home from fighting in Desert Storm and immediately wargamed it.
  • An Osprey on the British Army, 1816-1853 - a period I've never looked closely at, except some of the Indian campaigns.
  • A Squadron/Signal on the T-34 tank - another I'm unfamiliar with. This series is one I grew up with (we had one Osprey in the house and a dozen Sqn/Sigs), but I don't see it around much these days.
  • A book on Market Garden illustrated with miniatures, a good companion to Pete's game.
  • A Munchkin box, which I might find use for at work.
  • A copy of Beneath the Lily Banners, an older edition. I've heard a lot about this game (and understand it's inspired by Stephen Simpson's) but never found it online. I was tempted by the newer hardcover edition, but I'll start with this one.
  • And of course, in order to run the Charge! game from last post, Wofun starter sets of WoSS and '45 Rebellion, 30 dice, and a "Rattlesnake Ranch" Cigar Box mat (which Peter Dennis has started using for his more desert/Western minis, so like the Grasslands one it matches all the Paperboys I've got).

Speaking of which, I've somehow, in an 800-sq-ft apartment, misplaced all the Fistful of Lead material I acquired last time out. Jeff reminded me that I'd planned to run a Picacho Pass scenario at some point, and that has hung fire for years. Must get back on that...

Gaming can be either a whirlwind or a slog, depending on mood. I think this was a good time all around.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a very successful con for you and what a pile of loot! I have not had Subbuteo out on the table for more than forty years. What fun we used to have with that in college days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having heard of it, I was surprised when the VWC responded eagerly to the photo.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time. Now whenever I see mention of Subbuteo I hear 'My Perfect Cousin' by the Undertones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought “Subbuteo” was a Phil Colins’ song…

      Delete
    2. It was a good convention. Dunno if I'll make the next one, but I'll try.

      Delete
  3. Nice reporting. Cons are a lot of fun. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing the Subbuteo. That takes me back to my childhood when I was in a league with a number of friends... happy days.

    ReplyDelete