So, Hurricane Milton went through, which means I have a three-day weekend though I only caught the edge and there wasn't even any rain. A couple coworkers north of me lost power. Spent Wednesday keeping an eye on the track, watching Boney episodes and Games Workshop videos, and building Quar and Paperboys:
![]() |
| Crusaders, three fire-teams of three plus a Yawdryl (Sergeant). |
![]() |
| Coftyrans, in WWII British squad organization - rifle group and machine-gun group. Though the Crusaders get the Brit helmets. |
![]() |
| Pirate-era Spanish. |
Last blogpost was my 200th.
| Among the first Asimov nonfiction I read. |
- In the course of the last hundred, I discovered Very British Civil War, obtained nearly all the sourcebooks and plenty of useful miniatures for the period, and began to experiment with rules for the "period." I also discovered Quar.
- I also got in several programs of miniature painting at work, as well as Paperboy displays and papercrafting activities. I've moved to a branch where I have more kids to work with, but fewer teens, so some of that has been reduced in complexity. I'm effectively in charge of a Chess club now, so I have opportunities to experiment.
- I read dozens of books.
- I went to two HMGS-South conventions. I ran a game of Charge! at one.
- I organized and named my Wofun regiments so as to play Charge! The game I ran provided much useful feedback, so I should be able to play some more soon.
- I even painted a little on my own account, for the first time in quite a few years, and obtained some terrain to play with. (I have got to get a lot more hills and colored patches for forests.)
- I started working through the Charles Grant Programmed Wargames scenarios - so far three.
- I played five Minceheim games solo.
- I played in 10 games at Das Krieg Haus over roughly two years - not bad actually, given that I can only get there every other Saturday. (Some of the available Saturdays, I chose to attend the Virtual Wargames Club instead.) These were nearly all GMed by Oriskany Jim or Mark Ritchie.
What didn't I do? That would be actually finishing, or even seriously progressing on - any particular project. Except for the Jacobite mostly-solo campaign.
I would like to:
- Prep and run Picacho Pass - I have an increasingly enthusiastic partner for it, so I really need to get on that.
- Play more programmed scenarios, with an eye to working through the entire book.
- Obtain more natural terrain to do it with.
- Paint the Quar and start playing it.
- Start playing VBCW, or even running it for the club. It doesn't help that there are numerous rules that would work; I am actually considering Quar: Clash of Rhyfles for small games.
- Do some more library gaming and -adjacent activities. My supervisor has voluntold me to prepare take-and-make crafts for the foreseeable future, so Paperboys are on the horizon. I also ended up with accidental responsibility for a display case that is ideal for miniature displays...
Not too shabby, really. I still think this blog is pushing me to actually do hobby stuff; it's also opened up a community of fellow bloggers whose encouragement is just as invigorating. Thanks, and I'll see you in the next hundred!



Congratulations on your two hundredth post! I am pleased to hear that you have weathered the storm.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
What Alan said, basically. Keep on keeping on.
ReplyDeleteChris/Nundanket
I third Alan’s sentiments!
DeleteWhat was I saying about encouragement? Thanks very much to all of you
DeleteWell done on achieving 200 posts.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I still enjoy yours.
DeleteWell done on 200 posts. A great achievement! Keep posting and I will keep reading :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd, as an Australian, the reference to Boney threw me :-) I barely know of it (my wife has never heard of it for example). I think I watched one episode back in the 70s when I was quite young.
Thank you for the vote of confidence!
DeleteI loved the novels (problematic though they are), and archive.org has just put the James Laurenson series up. They're at their best capturing the feel of time and place - someday I'll visit Australia and see some of the settings.
Glad that you and the Quar have survived the storm to produce a further 200 posts? Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mark! I've been following the progress of your own collection, makes me itch to build my own displays...
Deletecongrats on 200 posts! and a nice start on the Quar. 😁
ReplyDeleteThanks, Stew. I need to think about painting them.
Delete