Ten days since my last post. Been reading 40K novels (catching up on Dan Abnett's Sabbat Worlds Crusade macrocosm), and not really trying to build, paint or play with anything plastic. Though (inspired by a readthru of Beneath the Lily Banners 1st Edition) I did build more of the Spanish 1680s Paperboys I've been working on:
![]() |
| This is the standard unit in BLB - three musketeer bases and one pike base behind, all of six figures. |
More and more Helion books are turning up on the Hoopla reading app - right now I'm working my way through their wargaming manual for the First Carlist War. It's quite good, lots of basic information for a newbie like me, plus lovely photos of Perry Miniatures.
| I'm still waiting for the one on the Anglo-Sikh wars. |
| From 1987, so long out of date, when many were brand new. Contains a lot of technical detail. A bathroom read. |
| Another Helion volume from Hoopla. |
| By Pen and Sword this time. |
| I really liked his chapter in the "alternate Napoleonic Wars" volume, and this is shaping up to be very enjoyable. With sardonic humor, too. |
There are several miniature projects I need to build:
- Assemble and label the new Wofuns I picked up at Hurricon. I've used up most of my names, so a hasty reread of the Branion series is in order.
- Assemble the second box of Travel Battle. I may model some as light infantry.
- Assemble the BEF. I'm thinking of one squad of Scottish militia (in berets) and the other two as LDV with Springfield rifles.
Of course, I should be playtesting Quar and VBCW, and there is the Port Royal kickstarter turning up in a month or two... oh, and cleaning my table, or at least getting another, would be a good idea. The Closet of Shame is about to get deeper.
Hopefully some real hobby progress next time.

Lots of good reading material, ideas to mull over and potential hobby fun. I look forward to following your progress.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Found another bit of procrastinatory material today - a new history of the Battle of Saratoga.
DeleteMaking paper boys and reading rules and historical texts are all hobby progress in my book Jennifer! :)
ReplyDeleteRegards, James
Yeah, I keep telling myself that!
Delete