Down with bronchitis again, ie a 4 day weekend. I probably won't be spending it gaming, because standing up and leaning over a table is harder than sitting at a pc or lying sacked out with a cat staring at me. So, more reading. I haven't gotten to Unsung Hero of Gettysburg or Queen Emma and the Vikings yet, but I have started on a duology about WWI cavalry - The German Failure in Belgium, 1914 and Chasing the Great Retreat.
So far the first is quite absorbing. Clearly written amidst controversy over the Schlieffen Plan, the authors' contention is that the goal was less to "sweep into Paris" than to find, fix and get around the Allied left flank. Destroying armies is better than destroying ground. Whether the Germans recognized this at the time is, like the flanks, up in the air.
The key to finding that flank is reconnaissance, and it would appear that the Imperial Germans were not very good at it. I look forward to reading the rest.
In modeling, my count of constructed BEF is six of thirty. I belatedly realized I'd put a prone figure on his feet, so that he's on his tippy-toes and arching his back as he points towards the foe:
![]() |
| This is why kits should have instructions! |
Well, that's it for this abbreviated post. See you again soon, hope your weekend is better than mine.

Sorry to hear that you are unwell but at least you are well prepared for convalescent reading. I too use prone, lying down, dead and dying or casualty figures mounted standing up if I am running short of figures.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good wishes, Mark. I never liked prone Army Men - you couldn't post them just anywhere on the battlefield you liked.
DeleteSorry to hear about the bronchitis. I had a bad dose in the 1980s and while the antibiotics were treating it, my brain was on another planet. Hope you get through it soon
ReplyDeleteThanks. I have sort of been in a fog this weekend.
Delete